Internet Explorer is a popular web browser that is an integral part of the Windows operating system. There are various reasons the “Internet Explorer cannot display webpage” error may appear. The most common causes are –
- Incorrect Internet and Browser Settings
- Incorrect Firewall or Antivirus Settings
- Problems with Browser Add-ons
- Problems with Adapter, Software and OS
Error that appears on the screen:
“Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage”
OS that display the error with IE
- All versions of Windows
- Internet Explorer present on any other OS like Mac
How to fix “Internet Explorer cannot display webpage” error?
Follow the steps given below to fix this error –
Step 1 – Check Internet and Browser Settings – Check if the internet is working by checking the router, modem, wireless and cable settings. If these are fine, check the IP address of your computer. For this, perform the following steps:
- Click Start, go to Run, type cmd and then click OK.
- Type ‘ipconfig’ at the command prompt and press Enter.
- If you get the 169.254.X.X as your IP address, then there is a problem with your internet as this is a private address provided by Windows.
If you get the private address contact your ISP, otherwise if you get any other address it means that the internet is working fine. Now check if Internet Explorer is set to ‘Work Offline’ following these steps:
- Open Internet Explorer.
- Click on the File menu, and check if Work Offline is selected.
- If it is, click on it to clear the selection and move on to the next step.
Step 2 – Check Firewall and Antivirus Settings- Sometimes Firewalls and Antivirus Software can cause problems with IE accessing the internet. It is better to temporarily disable them and then check for the ‘Internet Explorer cannot display webpage error’. If you are able to browse pages get support from the firewall manufacturer to setup the settings correctly. If it still gives you problems then you can go to the next step.
Step 3 – Problems with Add-ons –Add-ons are plug-ins that help to enhance the browser functionalities. However, sometimes they might malfunction and cause a page not to load. IE provides an option to load the browser only without any add-ons. To achieve this, perform the following steps –
- Click Start, go to All programs.
- Select accessories and browse to System tools.
- Now select Internet Explorer (No Add-ons).
Now try to browse a website. If it starts working, then you have to identify the Add-on which is causing the problem. Follow these steps to achieve it –
- On the Tools menu of your Internet Explorer, click Internet Options.
- On the Programs tab, click Manage add-ons to display the Manage Add-ons dialog box.
- Click an add-on from the list in the right pane, and then click the Disable button.
- Repeat step 3 until you identify the add-on that is causing the issue.
If this also doesn’t solve the issue move on to the next step.
Step 4 – Check OS, Software and Adapter for problems – If ‘Internet explorer cannot display webpage error’ occurs soon after you install a new software program, uninstall this software. Next, perform system restore to revert your system’s settings to the time before the error started appearing.
Next, check for the error. If it persists, it is better to check for the Network Card on the system. Run a diagnostic on the Network card and check for its functionality. If the error is occurring due to malfunctioning network adapter, or broken network cable, replace these components to fix the error.
Related Searches:internet explorer cannot display the webpage, internet explorer cannot display the webpage xp, the page cannot be displayed xp, internet explorer cannot display webpage, internet explorer cannot display the webpage windows xp, The page cannot be displayed, internet explorer cannot display the webpage windows 7, how to fix internet explorer cannot display the webpage, windows xp internet explorer cannot display the webpage, internet explorer cannot display webpage xp,